Hello, crochet enthusiasts! Today, we’re thrilled to introduce a delightful new pattern from Sweet Softies: the Mosu Bag!
Inspiration Behind the Mosu Bag
The Mosu Bag, designed by Sweet Softies, is inspired by the classic Japanese Knot Bag design, known for its convenience and stylish aesthetic. The name “Mosu” is derived from the Japanese word for “moss”, paying homage to the beautiful moss stitch used in the pattern.
Why You’ll Love the Mosu Bag
- Versatile Design: The Mosu Bag is perfect for everyone – kids, adults, teachers, friends, and parents! It can function as a tote bag, handbag, purse, clutch, or wristlet.
- Customizable: Easily adjust the size, experiment with yarn weights, hook sizes, and color combinations. It’s a canvas for your creativity!
- Easy to Make: With repetitive and simple patterns, it’s a therapeutic project suitable for beginners and experienced crocheters alike.
Materials You’ll Need:
- Non-stretchy medium weight yarn (100% cotton recommended)
- 5mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
1. Base of Bag:
- Start with Chain 31 (ensure you have an odd number of chains).
- Round 1: Insert 2 single crochets in the 2nd chain from the hook, single crochet across the next 28 stitches, insert 3 single crochets in the next stitch, and single crochet 29 on the other side of the chain.
- Rounds 2-5: Follow the pattern to increase stitches and form the base.
2. Height of Bag:
- Work the moss stitch in seamless rounds until your bag reaches 20 cm in height when laid flat.
- Work two straps of different lengths in turned rows, not in continuous rounds.
- Strap #1 (shorter): Work until it reaches about 12 cm.
- Strap #2 (longer): Work until it measures 30 cm.
- Fasten off with a long tail for sewing.
4. Finishing & Assembly:
- Sew the ends of the two straps to the other side of the bag.
- Weave in all ends.
- Optionally, add a cloth lining inside the bag for additional support and durability.
Get the PDF Pattern!
Watch the Video Tutorial!
For visual learners, Sweet Softies has a step-by-step video tutorial to guide you through each stage of creating your Mosu Bag.
Share Your Creations!
We can’t wait to see your beautiful Mosu Bags! Share your finished projects on social media with the hashtag #MosuBag, and don’t forget to tag Sweet Softies!
Happy crocheting, everyone! 🧶